Thursday, October 05, 2006

u r my sunshine

This story is about one of the many developmentally disabled people that I have the honor to work with. I will call her Mary to protect her identity.Mary was born with "downs Syndrome".

She lived with her very loving family until her mother was no longer able to take care of her. It was then that she came to the agency that I work for.

As is true with so many challenged people, their families love them so much that they don't have to do much for themselves.

When Mary came to us, she did not communicate, except for an occasional, yes, no, I don't care.One night I went into her room and she was sitting on her bed watching the "Statler Brothers Show" on TV. I sat down with her to watch.

They started singing "You are my Sunshine", and to my surprise, Mary sat there and sang every word of the song with them.

Needless to say, it brought tears to my eyes and we continued watching the show and singing right along with them.

From that point on, we worked a lot with Mary, which included a lot of singing, dancing, and just having fun.

It wasn't long after that she began communicating to us in "real" sentences. We found out later that her Mother sang that song to her all her life.

It just proves that with the help of music, and a lot of loving care, miracles do happen.
© copyright 2000* Ziplo *








I may look different, but please don't stare at me.
I may act different, but please don't laugh at me,or make fun of me.

It was not to many years ago that I was put awayin an institution, or hid away in my family's home.

I am now a part of your community.I have a family like you do.I laugh, cry, have friends, have fun, like you do.

I hold down a job in your community,and I work hard like you do.
Please take the time to get to know me;I think you will like me,
and I know I will like you.

© copyright 2000* Ziplo *
Please sign my guestbook before you leaveTabby and I love to hear from you. . .Thanks*Ziplo*and Tabby

Sign Guest book View Guest book






before u go click here too
Looking Up Skirts Prank



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

saby what's this all about

Anonymous said...

after keshi has dedicated a post to saby...saby has become selfish..he does not give anony mouse any bhaaav:(

Anonymous said...

he forgot his old frnds

Anonymous said...

who were once partners in his crime

;)

Anonymous said...

selfish anonymousass!

starbender said...

saby-who did u swipe this post from?
hahaaaa??? U couldn't be this humane, could U?
:o

Jim said...

heyyyyy annony mouses
dont be jealous

i love u guys too
and Minnie